Our reading period runs Jan. 5th – Apr. 5th 2020.
What We Want:
- Excession Press is looking for original manuscripts 30,000 - 60,000 words in length that can be described as horror, science fiction, weird western, or dark fantasy. Our word count limit is firm, +/- a few hundred words.
- We want quality, character-driven narratives with imaginative settings and creative conflicts that will engage readers.
- We want strong, memorable prose.
- We prefer our fiction to be surreal, grotesque, and thoughtful, but more than anything, we want it well-written and well-paced.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable but we ask that you let us know at time of submission, and we ask that you give us notice if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere.
What We *DON'T* Want:
- No reprints or incomplete manuscripts.
- No books that are part of a series - your submission should function as a standalone narrative.
- No poetry or non-fiction.
- No YA or children's stories.
- No stories that function primarily as erotica.
- No experimental formats or images - submissions should be text only.
- No queries. Please have something submission-ready.
- File must be in a .doc, .docx, or .rtf format.
- 12 point font.
- Double-spaced with .25" indents and 1" margins.
- The first page should have author name, an email address, title of your submission, and total word count. Every page should have author name, title, and page number.
How to Submit:
- Email submissions as an attached file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include in the body of your email a brief (3-5 sentence) description of your submission and an even briefer (1-2 sentence) description of yourself.
- We're a small team. If we like your manuscript, expect a response 3 - 6 months from date of submission.
Payment and Rights:
- Excession Press offers a $300 advance on royalties, with 40% royalties on net revenue from print sales and 30% royalties on net revenue from digital sales thereafter.
- Authors will have the ability to purchase their titles at wholesale.
- Excession Press will be granted the right to publish and distribute your work worldwide in paperback and ebook formats. All other rights will be retained by the author.